Monday, October 4, 2010

Observations: Instructional Delivery and Content Knowledge

My cooperating teacher (CT) began her guided reading lesson with her student’s by reviewing what they learned during their last session. Compound words were taught and identified previously and my CT used her hands as manipulative to help the students understand that compound words are two words put together as one.

After the review was complete, my CT went into explaining the objectives of the lesson being taught that day. To access previous knowledge, the alphabet, and the sounds each letter makes, is reviewed. She went over new vocabulary with the students and then they began reading, one at a time, one page at a time, until all the students had read once. The students were then told to finish reading the story at their own pace.

My CT then asked recall questions to her students about the story they just read. In order to go above the level of the students to challenge them reasonably, she asked them comprehension questions from the pages they read on their own rather than on the pages that were read as a group.

During the closure of the lesson, my CT related the lesson back to the objectives through asking the students to read the story with their parents at home. This met the objective of rereading.

If I were teaching this lesson, I would have added visuals to the new vocabulary words. These particular students seem to me to be more of the visual type and I feel that visuals of the words would have helped them with the meaning of the word. Additionally, I would have added the first letter of the word and the sound it makes in addition to the meaning. Again, this particular group of students struggled with phonics and needed to have review of this on a regular basis in order to succeed in reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment